The St. Paul’s Youth Group is a community of friends who seek to grow in faith, hope and love – and we do this in all kinds of ways. We eat together, play together, serve others together, talk about our lives and our faith and issues we face. We pray for one another and for our world. We are quiet and we are loud – and we experience God’s presence in both. We sit in circles and climb high mountains and travel to far away places…and stay close to home. We seek to live from the heart and live out God’s love for all people.
We invite youth in grades 6-12 to join us for a wide variety of exciting activities and events on Wednesday evenings, as part of the parish Community Night.
Fall 2012 Youth Calendar
The Lord's Prayer
Ice Cream & Ice-Breakers
“Peace One Day” Community Night
Prayer: What, Why, & How
Games on the Lawn
8th Grade Weekend @ Shrine Mont
It’s the Great Pumpkin, St Paul’s Youth!
SATURDAY, Oct 27
Diocesan Fall Day of Service
The Haunted Undercroft:
St Paul's Halloween Celebration
"Who art in Heaven"
6th & 7th Grade Weekend @ Shrine Mont
Dinner & Hymn-sing
"Hallowed be thy Name"
St Nicholas Night
"Thy Kingdom Come"
+ + +
Community Night - Youth Group
5:30 – Evening Prayer in the Chapel
6:00 – Dinner
6:50 – Youth Group Program or Event
7:50 – Say goodnight
There are many ways that youth provide service and leadership within the St. Paul’s community.
- Acolytes & Crucifers. Each Sunday youth help lead worship as acolytes and crucifers. There is a training session in the beginning of each year and then students are assigned to occasional Sundays to serve. Contact: Buck Smith
- Church School Teaching: Youth are invited to help teach church school for younger children.
- Youth Led Worship: once or twice a year, the youth lead all aspects of the 10AM service.
St. Paul’s Youth work together and individually to live lives of service throughout the year. Here are a few of the things we have done in the past:
- Gleaning apples for Food Bank
- 30Hr Famine for Hunger
- Habitat for Humanity
- Christmas Caroling to nursing homes and shut-ins.
- Food collection for Food Bank
- Food for local refugee families.
- Christmas stockings for teens
- College Care packages
- Work weekends at Shrine Mont
- Clean up for Rivanna River
In addition, each year high school youth are offered a chance to travel on pilgrimage or service trips in the summer.
- Pilgrimage to Puerto Rico
- Katrina Relief work
- Pilgrimage to South Dakota
- Nightwatch - St. John the Divine
Shrine Mont Retreats!
Each year, the Diocese of Virginia hosts retreats for youth at the Cathedral of the Shrine in Orkney Springs, VA, known as Shrine Mont. St. Paul’s encourages the youth of our parish to attend these wonderful weekends. The St. Paul’s Senior High also has a tradition of a Fall weekend to help rake leaves & play.
These retreats are lead by youth volunteers from around the Diocese. The teen leaders are known as The Parish Youth Ministry or PYM. The PYM structures the weekend with games, small group activities, worship and large gatherings. St. Paul’s Youth are invited to apply to serve on the PYM team.
There is no better way for kids to get to know other kids in their own church and from around the Diocese than a trip to Shrine Mont. They form friendships for a lifetime, and they will learn the importance of a place set apart for peaceful retreat and spiritual renewal.
For more information contact:
The Rev Nicholas Forti
Associate Rector for Young Adult Ministry
Last Updated on Thursday, 16 August 2012 18:36